Friday, May 15, 2009

"Would you do it again?"

Everyone I have talked to about the Global Scavenger Hunt asks, "Would you do it again?" Every time I'm asked the question, I stumble with the answer.

I have hardly unpacked and barely caught up on my sleep; so it's difficult to consider the possibility of revving up to do it again. (Some ask because they wonder if they might want to sign up themselves).

But, here's how I look at the experience - and what would go into trying to answer that question.

1. Of the countries we visited, I had never been to seven of them. You only get to have a first impression once - and I was fortunate to have had lots of them. That was fantastic. Would another "Blind Date with the World" provide as many totally new experiences? I don't know.

2. Bill Chalmers has designed the trip with variety, intelligence, challenge, and fun. Each day was an incredibly exciting adventure (even when it was exhausting and we spent too much time on things we feared might be dead ends).

3. The itinerary was designed beautifully to flip-flop from easy (Taiwan) to harder (Cambodia) to easier (Thailand) to hard (India), etc.

4. The group of travelers Bill chose was fantastic. I really enjoyed meeting everyone on the trip and made new friends who share a love of travel and discovery.

5. It was HARD! Every new place required a strategy and a plan of attack. We had to make decisions and get going with very little information. We had long days, not enough sleep and drove ourselves. But it was very, very rewarding. The more we did, the more we saw and the better it was.

6. I am confident in my ability to approach strangers and get information. But this is different. You have to INVEST in what they tell you - whether it's setting off believing you are going in the right direction, or estimating the time it takes to get somewhere...we had to really rely on people. And they rarely let us down (except some taxi drivers and tuk-tuk drivers who we had to learn to distrust).

7. I was amazed by how consistently generous people from all over the world are with their time. When we asked people on the street for information, with rare exception, they would stop and give us an answer.

8. Although this is irrelevant to any question asked: I learned that I love the Cambodian people. They are extraordinarily kind, open, down-to earth and warm. It was a stand-out discovery.

9. I loved traveling with my son Alex. We made a fantastic team. Got along perfectly and complimented each others' strengths (and yes, weaknesses).

10. I have a great sense of accomplishment...We found our way in strange places and cultures far outside of our comfort zones. And, we traveled the world.

Would I do this trip again? Still don't know.

The most exhausting thing about it was being off-balance by being plunked into a place without context or a map; without the ability to figure out in advance what we want to see and where we want to go.

But, by the time we left each place, we had hit the hot lists and had always done quirky off-the-beaten path things like trying some unusual food or figuring out a piece the public transportation system. Very, very gratifying.