Thursday, April 29, 2010

Money: There is Always Something New to Learn

Some Random Encounters Regarding Money:
1. An ATM machine for the Bank of Ceylon dispensed currency without requesting my PIN number. That is the first time I ever got money without being asked for a PIN. That is a rather disturbing situation if someone takes your ATM card.
2. I am pretty sure that the ATM in Kandy shortchanged me. Instead of 10 bills, I received 9. Same thing happened to another traveler.
3. On leaving Sri Lanka, at a currency exchange counter in the airport, the clerk refused to buy back my currency because I was unable to produce a receipt showing that I had purchased it.
4. In Laos, buy only the smallest amount of currency that you might need. Except for a very limited amount, you cannot sell it back. Anywhere.