Saturday, October 17, 2015

Bring on the Lardo

Lardo - All in its naked glory, Fat, Fat, Fat

While on a fabulous food trip through the Piedmont region of Italy, the pressure was on to taste the lardo. Linda Plazonja, who runs Morso Soggiorno, led this wonderful trip of off-the-beaten path artisanal food experiences. She insisted that I taste the lardo, assuring me that I would be glad I did. Lardo was not my first go-to item to choose from among beautiful meats, cheeses, olives and caponatas. Not being a big meat-eater, I was happy to eat the salami. It was heavenly. But Lardo?? A glistening wad of naked fat?  Well, I'm so glad I passed that slithery slab over my lips. Oh my!! I am now a lardo fan. It was delicious. Having read up on it, I now know that Lardo is not the same thing as Lard. Lard is a cooking fat, used like butter. Lardo (emphasis on the "OH!"), is a type of salumi, or charcuterie, sliced very thinly, and deserves its place on the antipasto plate. It is made by curing strips of fatback with rosemary and other herbs and spices.

Lardo sits on top of salami. It's almost like it's saying "Pick Me! Pick Me!", at Tra Arte e Quercia in Monchiero
Cheese and condiment sampler served with wine tasting at Cascina Val del Prete - different place, different story. Just showing this in contrast to the fat slabs of lardo