Thursday, November 3, 2016

4 Waterfalls in One Day is Plenty: Les 7 Cascades, Mauritius

Climbers Walking Across the Top
On the beautiful lush island country of Mauritius, there is a volcanic crater that has filled in with trees and a string of seven waterfalls that snake from the top down to the bottom of the deep canyon. Known as "Les 7 Cascades", the waterfalls are a tourist attraction for the brave traveler who likes to hike and scramble on rocks.  It is recommended that visitors hire a guide because the jungle paths can get confusing and because it's quite steep and frankly, scary, if you don't know what you are doing or where you are going. Plus, walking on the wet rocks at the edge of a steep plunge would be terrifying without someone to reassure you that you are going the right way and will be fine.  

Sitting on the top edge; Looking down

We started out the day having signed up with a guide for the full 7 waterfall hike. But, after I did a few of the scrambles up hills like this, I doubted that I had 5 hours of stamina to get down into the basin of the crater and back up again, all while navigating rocks, pulling myself up on vines. So, we switched over to a guide who would take us on the abbreviated 4 waterfall hike. Raja was our man. Great guide. Great day.

Guide Raja. Note how STEEP it is to climb each step of the way.





Actually, I didn't go in the water. I found it too cold.
More fun to watch other people jump in

My son and I smiling because we have our feet planted on solid rock