Sunday, April 14, 2019

Notes from a Sardine Can



I am on a twelve hour flight. In economy. I was assigned to a dreaded four-pack in the center of the cabin. My assigned seat was on the aisle. That’s where I like to be so that I can stretch my legs out. And I don’t have to bother anyone when I want to get up. 
When I make my own plane reservations, I work the seat selection, trying for exit rows and longer leg room. But on the Global Scavenger Hunt, I didn’t get to choose my seat and I opted out of paying the upcharge for business class.
I’m not gonna lie. It was pretty miserable.  The leg room was so short that my knee caps pressed against the seat in front of me.  But shortly after takeoff, Sally strolled through the cabin and reported on an empty window seat in the exit row. The open area. With legroom as big as my bathroom at home. Nirvana. 
I had to pay a $200 supplement.  Gladly! I stretched my legs out all the way, put on the eyeshade and neck turtle and drifted off.
Sally stayed in the back but her legs are shorter and she got my old seat to spread into. 
We should land in Taipei within the hour and catch a connection to Saigon.