Thursday, May 14, 2020

Clipped Wings Kitchen #2: Back to Junior High School Home Ec


I began my quarantine cooking on Friday March 13. Instead of going to TF Green Airport to board a plane for Philadelphia to attend a family wedding, I went to Stop & Shop to load up on groceries. I figured that I would be staying inside for a couple of weeks. I intended to buy meats to stock the freezer, get some cans and dry goods to pack into the cupboard, plus bunches of fresh produce. So much for my shopping list. I was happy to walk away with anything from the store’s ransacked shelves. I grabbed the last package of chicken from the meat section. It was a pack of Kosher chicken thighs. I snapped a photo on my way out.




And so it began. I now avoid shopping in the grocery store because I’m “at risk” as I’m over that witchy age of sixty. For someone my age to be ordered to stay inside, I feel like I'm a kid again---being told what to do. 

And, as to being a kid again, I think back a lot to Home Economics class in Junior High School. I learned about how to make do when you don't have everything you think you need. Those lessons sure are coming in handy these days.

Banana Bread with Potato Flour as an Unintended Ingredient
Substitute Liberally
I have made banana bread with potato flour. Not that the recipe called for potato flour or because I thought it was a good idea. The bananas were overripe, so banana bread seemed like the thing to do. I didn’t have the two cups of flour called for by the recipe. But I did have some matzo meal. Gluten free. I would not have chosen it, but all the regular matzo meal was sold out. And it turns out, gluten free matzo meal is potato flour. And it also turns out, it makes for a delicious banana loaf.

Torshi Tareh, a Persian stew 

Do Not Waste
I made Torshi Tareh, a Persian stew made of herbs and eggs. The only reason I made it was because I ended up with three bunches of parsley and no plan for what to do with them. As great as it is to have an Instacart Shopper deliver groceries, mistakes sometimes happen. What was I going to do with three bunches of parsley? That’s where Epicurious shines. I typed in “parsley” and voila. The picture looked appetizing. I made the dish. It was pretty like the picture. But honestly, runny eggs skeeve me out a bit. And let’s just say, when we finished eating it, the leftovers did not make it into the refrigerator.

Chicken Pot Pie with made-it-all-by-myself double crust
Corn muffins (had those fancy papers sitting in the bottom of the drawer for forever)
Economize
I made a chicken pot pie. Just saying “chicken pot pie” does not give it the respect it deserves. I made the pie crust by myself from scratch. I rolled out a bottom and a top. So, really, I made two pie crusts. The last time that rolling pin saw the light of day before quarantine was maybe four years ago. I invested hours into making that pie. I even whipped up a bechamel sauce for the filling. It was gorgeous and delicious. And then, I used the half can of corn not needed for the pie filling to make spicy corn muffins. Well, there was only enough corn batter to make five muffins. Five really good muffins, they were.

Substitute Liberally. Do not Waste. Economize. I feel like I'm back in Home Economics class at Elkins Park Junior High School. When I was thirteen years old. And actually, I kind of like telling Siri to blast some Motown so I can bop around the kitchen thinking about the Rockin’ Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu---instead of that other virus.