Saturday, October 1, 2022

Early bird Catches the Mint


I received a promotional email from Jet Blue announcing the launch of service from Boston to Heathrow. The prices were tantalizingly low. Mint class had fallen below splurge levels. I couldn’t click onto the reservation page fast enough. I snagged two seats in Mint class from Boston to London Heathrow. 

Let me just say that the flight felt too short. I could have put up with the pampering for at least a few more hours. It started with a choice of welcome drink. With my elderberry syrup, did I want champagne or sparkling water? I took the sparkling water on the hunch that there was more to come.  Indeed, the cocktail card included suggestions like old fashioned or dirty martini.  Say no more. The flight attendant arrived, entering my cabin with drink in outstretched hand, jiggling four olives stuffed with blue cheese on a spear. She laid down a cocktail napkin and then placed the drink on one of my tables. She took my dinner order and then oriented me to my digs. The table to my left was a phone charger surface. The control panel for the seat recliner offered lots of comfy options between upright and fully flat bed. While I ate my decent dinner, I watched an excellent movie, “Belfast”. I chose it from the curated list of short movies for short flights. The moment the movie ended and credits started rolling, I pressed the recline setting, then the dimmer on my edgy-styled halogen lamp. I spread the soft comfy comforter over me and fell fast asleep. Before I knew it (probably 3.5 hours later), a cheery flight attendant knocked on the door to my cabin and placed a delicious tray of strawberries with a rich Greek yogurt. I’m betting that it was not the fat free type I often eat. But hey! Starting a vacation by traveling in style. 

Thank you Jet Blue for serving up Mint just when I needed to buy a transatlantic flight. Mint is sweet.