Friday, May 14, 2021

Traveling Again: Hiking with Royals



I traveled again. Yay! In April, I hiked in the Golden Gate National Recreation Area in California. With a princess and her older brother. 

This is a travel blog, after all. For the last eight months, my only contribution was to share an article reporting that NOT traveling is bad for you. Ready or Not, there we went. In April, my husband and I flew cross country from Boston to California. Fifteen months had elapsed since we last hugged our grandchildren. We decided that as double vaxxer's, we would take the risk of the 5% unprotected by Moderna's vaccine. 

It was beyond fabulous to be with the grandchildren. My son Alex photographed the first moments when my husband and I met up with the kids. They leapt into our arms. We hugged. (But we didn't kiss. That was the deal). We squeezed. We cooed. We swayed. 



And then we swapped.




Things people say about the ache one feels from the separation? It's true. Face Time, Zoom, Google Meets are all great ways to stay in touch. But they're nothing like the real thing. When you're together in real life, you get the little moments. Like this one. 


Sage (shown protesting why anyone would question her choices from the charcuterie platter). She made a sandwich of three crackers between two pieces of bread.